Sunday 16 December 2012

Failure Installing the SSD Drive

My new SSD drive arrived and I've been spending spare moments this weekend trying to install it -- without success. I've been mostly following this Lifehacker article on installing a new SSD.  Here's the steps so far...


  1. Using a combination of CCleaner and Windows Disk Cleanup I managed to get the disk usage on the old drive down to 247GB so it should just about squeeze onto the new  256GB SSD.
  2. I turned off the PC and installed the SSD in the 3.5" disk adaptor bracket.
  3. My first discovery was that I had no spare SATA power connectors.  I temporarily took the one out of the CD Drive. On Sunday I got an adapter from Maplin 
  4. I defraged the old HDD
  5. I used EaseUS to copy my C: drive onto the SSD drive.  I asked EaseUS to put 2MB unallocated at the start of the SSD as per the next step in LifeHacker.  That might have been a source of problems as the LifeHacker article suggests letting GParted do that
  6. I tried to get the SSD to boot via the BIOS.  It didn't work.  The drive complained that the disk wasn't bootable
  7. Next I tried EasyBCD to fix the boot record.  That got the SSD dual booting having started the boot on the old HDD.  If I told the BIOS to boot straight from the SSD it still said it wasn't bootable
  8. I then asked EasyBCD to fix the MBR.  I selected for it to "Install the Vista/7 Bootloader to the MBR" but the program crashed!
  9. Feeling a little desperate I bought a copy of the Windows Vista Recovery Disk from Neosmart.  I followed the instructions, let it run the auto recovery and it said it has fixed the boot data.  However, booting through the BIOS still failed
  10. I've now decided to give up and start again.  As I write this I'm defragging the HDD one more time.  I'll then start back at the top of the list of instructions and see what happens this time