Wednesday 25 November 2009

Backup Regime

I've updated how my backup regime works and I wanted to write it all down to make sure that it is clear in my head. The overview is to make sure that I have two copies of all media as quickly as possible and then move a third backup into the cloud. I use about 1 gig of new disk space each month, mostly from pictures and videos. The steps to get this backed up are:
  1. Put the source media, SD cards, into read only mode
  2. Copy the media into a new folder under a single 'media' folder on my desktop with the name of the folder being the date when I'm doing the backup
  3. Immediately copy the new folder onto an external USB hard drive
  4. Remove the hard drive from the desk top
  5. Kick off a backup. I'm using Jungle Disk for my cloud backups
  6. Put the SD card into read-write mode and delete all content to free up space
  7. That's it
I'm going to use the OVI files space I have for syncing docs between computers for the time being.

No comments: